At 139 Tuxedo, the land is steeped in history. The grounds originally housed the Manitoba Agricultural College, in 1906; then the Manitoba School for the Deaf, in 1914; a military convalescent hospital for wounded soldiers returning from Europe, in 1917; and Fort Osborne Barracks, in 1919; until they were reacquired by the province of Manitoba, in 1968.
In 1997, the site was redeveloped as the Asper Jewish Community Campus (AJCC) of Winnipeg, thus returning to its original educational vocation. After 11 years of planning and development, the Campus opened as a 250,000-square foot multipurpose educational, cultural, recreational and social complex. As a tribute to the thousands of Jewish immigrants who came to settle in Manitoba in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the AJCC houses the Gray Academy of Jewish Education; Jewish Heritage Centre (including the Jewish Museum of Western Canada); Kaufman Silverberg Library; Berney Theatre; various social services, foundations and federations; in addition to the sports and community facilities offered at the Rady Centre.